If we refer to the figure we can see the following interfaces in the SAE- LTE architecture. A basic description of all the interfaces are provided in this post. Refer to TS – 23401 for more details.
- S1-MME : Interface between the control plane protocol between E-UTRAN and MME.
- S1-U : Interface between the E-UTRAN and Serving GW for the per bearer user plane tunnelling and inter eNodeB path switching during handover.
- S3 : It enables user and bearer information exchange for inter 3GPP access network mobility in idle and/or active state.
- S4 : It provides related control and mobility support between GPRS Core and the 3GPP Anchor function of Serving GW. In addition, if Direct Tunnel is not established, it provides the user plane tunnelling.
- S5 : It provides user plane tunnelling and tunnel management between Serving GW and PDN GW. It is used for Serving GW relocation due to UE mobility and if the Serving GW needs to connect to a non-collocated PDN GW for the required PDN connectivity.
- S6a : It enables transfer of subscription and authentication data for authenticating/authorizing user access to the evolved system (AAA interface) between MME and HSS.
- Gx : It provides transfer of (QoS) policy and charging rules from PCRF to Policy and Charging Enforcement Function (PCEF) in the PDN GW.
- S8 : Inter-PLMN reference point providing user and control plane between the Serving GW in the VPLMN and the PDN GW in the HPLMN. S8 is the inter PLMN variant of S5.
- S9 : It provides transfer of (QoS) policy and charging control information between the Home PCRF and the Visited PCRF in order to support local breakout function.
- S10 : Interface between MMEs for MME relocation and MME to MME information transfer.
- S11 : Interface between MME and Serving GW.
- S12 : Interface between UTRAN and Serving GW for user plane tunnelling when Direct Tunnel is established. It is based on the Iu-u/Gn-u reference point using the GTP-U protocol as defined between SGSN and UTRAN or respectively between SGSN and GGSN. Usage of S12 is an operator configuration option.
- S13 : It enables UE identity check procedure between MME and EIR.
- SGi : It is the reference point between the PDN GW and the packet data network. Packet data network may be an operator external public or private packet data network or an intra operator packet data network, e.g. for provision of IMS services. This reference point corresponds to Gi for 3GPP accesses.
- Rx : The Rx reference point resides between the AF and the PCRF